Saturday, June 28, 2008

Week 3:7 Technology Blog Post

Technology thoughts:  I am looking forward to learning to use my new digital camera in this class; who knows, maybe I'll even use my cell phone camera.   

So far these assignments have given me a great deal of empathy with students who have given up on a subject or a task.   I tend to think that students don't try hard enough when they earn those Ds and Fs but I can see why it also might be due to an aggregate of simply not succeeding well enough to choose to put in the time.  Sometimes it is simply easier and less frustrating to give up or to do the bare minimum.  (If you put in the time and are not going to be rewarding accordingly, why bother?)

However, as technology transforms education, students will be given new venues of success and, hopefully, it will entice learning.  This class is important for two reasons:  1) to teach the teachers this 2.0 technology which will truly revolutionize education and 2) a trainer once told me that teachers need to occasionally take a class outside of their expertise and/or comfort zone so that they can feel how some students feel in their classroom.  I'm certainly feeling it with this class!  

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think there is a lot to trying a class outside of our comfort zone. And one really great aspect of this class will be having empathy for students whose teachers assign a project using a technology that they (the teacher) isn't truly on top of yet. They (the teacher) just know it is the latest, greatest thing and the "all students" will know how to do it with their hands tied behind their backs. Ha! Digital natives come in all makes, models and colors. I have one child who lives and breathes technology and another who can't be bothered to check her email and forgets her cell phone. Guess who goes to who for help on homework involving technology? At least I don't have to worry about her hitting me up for help unless her brother's out of reach (read cell phone turned off!)

Soccer Mom (Kristen A) said...

I agree with you about working outside of your comfort zone. I am unfamiliar with all of the things we have done so far in this class. I also agree with you about students giving up when they have a task that is challenging to them.