Saturday, June 28, 2008

Week 4:8 RSS Feeds

After watching four of the listed videos about RSS feeds, I proceeded to set up a Google Reader account.  Using the search term, "books," I subscribed to four feeds:  NPR Topics: Books, NPR:Books:Podcasts, Reader's Club: Mysteries and Unshelved (for comic relief).  I al initially subscribed to 100-Must Read Books but it turned out to be linked to a blog entitled, "The Art of Manliness," which discussed such topics as, The Man's Guide to the Perfect Marriage Proposal," "Lessons on Manliness: Knute Rockne," "When Is It Okay for a Man to Cry?"..etc.  Interesting but I didn't see the book tie-in.

When I clicked on the "San Jose Mercury News Feeds," all the links were 2.0 participants from California which confused me as I was expecting news topics.

I had heard about RSS feeds but I thought that my email would end up being flooded with messages.  However, since one has to login to his/her reader account, there is some control.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I was in the same boat with the San Jose link for RSS feeds, thinking that they would be news feeds. I subscribed to one of the Web 2.0 ones and made it public for the sake of this class but I will soon delete it. I did find plenty of others that if I can keep up with checking the reader, I will keep!

robert said...

I am also worried about having an inbox full of feeds every day. I need some system for handling the influx of information (and a system for finding the time to read them).

Robert