Saturday, July 19, 2008

Chapter 9: New Schools

This chapter reiterates the importance of transforming education to meet the 21st century needs and states that unless we close the gap between what is and what should be, "while a few will accomplish so much, many will accomplish little, and the window for imagination and boldness will be lost."  This quote spoke to me as, frankly, I thrived under the old educational system of memorization and the accumulation of knowledge.  Yet, I realize that a lot of my peers did not fair nearly as well and I wonder how many failed and were left behind.

This chapter also has an article by David Warlick entitled, "Learning From Games."  In looking beyond the games themselves to the experience of gaming, he articulates the attributes that assist learning .  Never having played a game myself, this was a very interesting article to read.

This chapter also posits the idea that if Amazon can provide book recommendations based on an individual's purchases, why can't an education program do the same with educational avenues based on student achievement and interests.  

No comments: