Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Week 8:19.1 Digital Pipeline

The tutorials were great: short and sweet. In addition to collaborating with the English Dept. to have students view them, I will make sure they are a part of the library curriculum for my library aides. The "Narrowing Your Search" tutorial on using the "limiters" was very useful and students will like the Citation Format options since the English Dept. uses the MLA format.

In advanced search, I had always used "Alaska" as a subject search term and was interested to see the tutorial used it as a geographic search term. So I did some searches to see if it made a difference. It did but not to the degree that it made a big difference.

I created an Ebsco Account for my library topic searches and set up a RSS feed for alerts on wikis. One of the articles I saved was on using wikis to replace textbooks. I found this interesting as both parents and students complain about those "30 lb bookbags" that students have to lug home.

I watched the Flash Movie and on my computer there was no sound. Is this right? Lack of sound made the movie endless and boring. It took me a while to find out that when I was clicking on the next arrow, it was advancing to the next topic rather than just to the next screen. Oops. The changes look wonderful but I won't be using the Flash Movie as a tutorial with students unless there is sound.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Call the LMS desk about the flash movie and pick their brains. Different players work better on different platforms but I can't remember which is which off the top of my head. And if they can't solve the problem we need to take it to the creators of the tutorials and see if they can solve it. I'm sure they want the tutorials to work for everyone if possible.