Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 5:11 Web 2.0 Award Sites

When I was checking out the award winning sites, under "Fun Stuff" I went for the honorable mention (http://www.onesentence.org).  The site describes itself as: "true stories, told in one sentence."  This makes for fascinating reading and would be a good writing exercise for high school students.  

I wish something similar could be created as an exercise for students to post a book blurb about a book they read. The blurb could introduce the book or a student could take on a character's identity and create a post to entice readers to the book.

I joined the gotbooks.ning.com ("a network for librarians") and I am awaiting approval....

2 comments:

Katie said...

I remember reading an article somewhere about a teacher capitalizing on the prevelance of text messaging and the ability to be concise. It seems like your idea about promoting a book could perhaps do the same thing. Challenge student to write a 100 character (or less) pitch for their favorite book and post it on a library blog. I saw what looked like a photo of a cell phone with a message but I'm wondering if Big Huge Labs or one of the other companies doesn't have a widget that will create just that.

lydia_scarlett27 said...

Thanks for sharing the One Sentence site and your ideas on how to use it. I am an elementary librarian so your idea would work with my older students. I feel that the One Sentence site’s content is too old for them, so I would not be able to share it with them. There are so many Web 2.0 tools to look at on the award list and so little time (I have it book marked so I can go back and look at it more.)