Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Week 6:14 Technorati and Tags

I recall an earlier posting where I said that Technorati was the least easiest site to use re: tagging. Since the tutorial I watched didn't match the site exactly in terms of searching on blogs, tags and the blog directory (and adding 'my favorites' as the video instructed), I need to spend more time exploring this site. However, searching for "School Library Learning 2.0" resulted in 2 hits in tags, 15 in blog posts and 282 in the blog directory.

I am still thinking that tags are problematic...kind of a "anything goes" which may seem easy but may result in unhelpful hits (or too many hits)

One thing I did not like about Technorati was all the ads including a flashing window announcing that I was the millionth user and could claim a new laptop.

1 comment:

Katie said...

So far I find the fact the Technorati exists interesting but I'm not sure just yet what its best applications are for education.

I agree that the tagging phenomena seems chaotic and possibly problematic. I found it very interesting to read on a LibraryThing blog that....

-LibraryThing members have added more than 23 million tags to books
AND
- Statistics and LibraryThing's librarian, Abby, have killed all the "bad" tags.

What does that mean?

I love being able to tag items I use with tags that are meaningful to me but as I do it I ask myself if they will be meaningful to anyone else in the same manner. When setting up joint accounts like Del.icio.us I think it is definitely worth a conversation about tag conventions. By this I mean things like seventh_grade_math vs. 7th_gr_math vs. 7thgrademath because each one could easily be used by different staff people creating separate entries and those extra million tags.

BTW I was the millionth user on Technorati too and I also passed up the free laptop.