Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 9:22 eBooks and Audio eBooks

Sorry, I was not impressed; although, I did like the "Best Places to Get Free Books" site.   I got hits when I used the World EBook Fair site and the LibriVox site but after waiting 5 minutes for files to load (on an upgraded broadband connection) I gave up.  Students wouldn't have lasted that long and at school the connection is so poor during peak hours it would be impossible to use.

Originally I thought either of these sites could help when teachers don't have enough sets of classic titles required in the curriculum (or that they could help a student who has lost or misplaced a text) but the obvious download problem makes it unusable.  I would definitely not consider demonstrating either site at a staff meeting and I'd warn English teachers in advance that using either site requires a lot of patience.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Not all the tools are for everyone and some will definitely work better under certain circumstances but knowing a little about the various resources will be valuable.